I’m already failing at my Friday 13s, didn’t do one last week. Oops.
1. Decided to change things up last week and implemented a new theme – lemme know what you think in the comments (please). I’ve been going through and re-doing all the header images, trying to make them pretty and slightly-professional. Still don’t have a logo, but that’s in the works too.
2. “The heavy metal cowboy get-ups sported by Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider and Mel Gibson in Mad Max are probably considered more than a little passé in the world of men’s style, better left in the 1970s. But in Sub-Saharan Africa, the art of dressing like you’ve just stepped out of a Metallica concert is still very much alive.” The Heavy Metal Subculture of Botswana, Africa | Messynessychic
3. Have a hard time waking up in the morning? Rig a car horn to your alarm clock!
4. Which store is known for hidden plastic lobsters, selling pantyhose until 1978 and suing a Canadian bootlegger? Why, Trader Joe’s, of course. PS: They are also owned by the same German company that owns Aldi!
5. One of my grandmother’s favorite quotes:
Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning.
6. Duuuuuuuude. We’re going to see the Big Lebowski tomorrow at the North Carolina Museum of Art, should be pretty interesting!
7. Yesterday was our two month wedding anniversary! Instead of vacations, we’re going to be going on honeymoons. Next weekend is honeymoon no. 3 in Chapel Hill!
8. Only in corporate America will we put on jackets and blankets in the middle of summer when we enter the office. Why are we (women) so cold? Science. Women have a lower metabolic rate than men do, so we produce less heat, but our cubicle homes are cooled based on a “thermal comfort model that was developed in the 1960s,” i.e., based on a 40-year-old man weighing about 154 pounds. With more women in the workplace, temperature guidelines need to be re-evaluated to make corporate hell more comfortable for everyone. Let the thermal revolution begin!
9. We bought a small tent during Amazon’s Garage Sale Flop Day (aka Prime Day), I’ve never been camping (something about woods + female = awkward), but I’m willing to give it a shot. By shot, I mean that I’ll eventually brave the great outdoors and sleep on the back porch in our tent, only thin fabric between me and the Great Evil Mosquitos.
10. Colby follows a LOT of YouTube channels – geekery, woodworking, tech stuff, etc. This week’s recommendation is Woodworking for Mere Mortals – Steve’s channel has quick, easy & fun projects for anyone who is wanting to get into woodworking or just get sawdust everywhere!
11. Like my Friday 13 header image? I found it on Unsplash, free (do whatever you want) high-resolution photos.
12. Brainstorming a new recipe – something cold and awesome for the hot summer months! Stay tuned.
13. A sobering article by Rukimini Callimachi details the systemic, bureaucratic, brutal sex slave industry by the Islamic State. ISIS Enshrines a Theology of Rape | Slate Magazine.